Monday, May 20, 2013

My Big Fat Greek Wedding: Above & Beyond

Toula has done the unthinkable: she's chosen a non-Greek as her husband. Her father is devastated. Beyond devastated. He takes it personally. He can't believe his daughter would do this to him, that she would even think of welcoming a non-Greek into her wonderful Greek family.

The family, however, welcomes him with open arms. And soon Dad gives his blessing. Yes, if it means that much to her, she can marry Ian.

But don't expect him to like it.

Things are progressing as smoothly as can be expected. Wedding invites sport errors, zits appear, and the bridesmaids' dresses look like something out of a really scary movie. But after it's all said and done...Toula and Ian are married, and ouzo is served. Then Dad approaches to give the bride and groom the customary wedding gift. It's in an envelope.

A nice letter? A baby-name request? Cash? Gift cards to Bed, Bath, and Beyond?

Or, you know, A HOUSE. Dad has given them the title deed to a house. And not a house on the other side of the country, but the house next door.

That scene, more than any other in the film, brought tears to my eyes. In that moment, the Father's heart was on display.

Like Ian, we Gentiles don't belong to the Hebrew family. We don't understand the customs, and we botch every attempt at blending in. But with Jesus' death and resurrection, we are adopted, grafted in...we are welcomed.

"...come out from among them and be separate...I will receive you, and will be a Father to you, and you shall be my sons and daughters." -- 2 Corinthians 6:17-18 (paraphrase)
"Behold, what manner of love the Father has given unto us that we should be called the sons of God." -- 1 John 3:1 (paraphrase)
That in itself is pretty amazing when you think about it. But Toula's Dad--like God--goes one step further. He lavishes. Not only does Toula's dad agree to call Ian his son-in-law, he gives him a house. Not only does he give him a house, he gives him the house next door.

God is like that, too. He doesn't call it a day after saving us from hell and adopting us into His family giving us a spot in heaven and sending the Holy Spirit to comfort us. He could. He'd still be deserving of 100% of our worship. He'd still be the best ever. But He doesn't stop there.
"He is able to do exceeding abundantly [try getting your mind around that turn of phrase] more than we can ask or think..." -- Ephesians 3:20
I think a house falls into that 'more' category. He is a God of the above and beyond. Not only will I let you marry my daughter, I'll give you a house. Not only will I adopt you, I'll give you more than you can think of. Not only will I die for you, I'll live with you. Not only will I save you from hell, I'll give you a mansion in heaven. Not only will My words last in the Bible, I'll send you My Holy Spirit.

He is the God of the above and beyond.

0 comments:

All writings are copyrighted by In Every Movie.
Contact me

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP